I have been wanting to blog about this issue since last week, after first hearing about it. The week has passed and the issue was still clearly lingering in the air, and I just felt that I needed to get it out. I don't want to point fingers nor be judgmental or anything of that sort. For me, I just want to weigh out the pros and cons of the matter, to write and think, reflect along the way and apply it naturally to my life; my conscience.
As friends, what you read in the following, is an expression of my thoughts about that matter. Anything else I continue to add personally with examples of my life, is just an extended regard. I do feel that I can be blunt and honest too.
For the past 2 weeks, the bible study group was left hanging because of having no materials to work with. Nonetheless, I think God had always planned for something else to take place. For that, I think, the recent 2 weeks, the group has genuinely come together and to some degree, became closer too. I am glad for such close friendship and intimacy. Much prayer has been poured out. Still, there are 3 that are left stranded.
The story is this. There is a couple in my church who have been going out and been looking towards the direction of marriage. However one was a divorcee, and the church has recently taken the stand that they will not allow a divorcee to remarry. Having said that, the person who is a divorcee committed such an act before he became a believer. As a result, this current couple now cannot even serve at church because of their relationship. Therefore, unless they break up, they don't serve. Furthermore, to remain consistency in the church, there is a speaker who is also from the background; who we had the privilege to invite recently to speak at our bible study and youth camp (which I was so looking forward too!), is now not able to serve in ministry because he was a divorcee.
To put everything in context, let's the couple M and V respectively and speaker as S. Here's what I think about the whole matter:-
1. M was not a believer when he divorce his wife. He came to know the Lord at our church. We welcome him with open arms and loved him like how Jesus does. Then isn't it so, that when one accepts the Lord as His personal saviour, then his sins are all washed away and he begins a new life.
2. For a couple with a stigma (divorce issues), they are now not allowed to serve in church, in the ministries that they have been so actively contributing, these are key people to certain ministries. And because of what they have, which is a relationship or basically dating, they can't serve. I just don't understand that.
3. From that it sprung to hit S, and he can't speak at our sessions.
Let's take away religion for a while. Let's be human. If I can say myself, I'm a liberalist? I mean, in life, we make mistakes, you make some, forgive and move on. And more importantly, I came to know the Lord Jesus Christ through grace and love. I stand by the move on grace strongly, and genuine love. What would Jesus do? I read stories in the bible, showing how Jesus spent most of his time with the worst people and continued to offer his hand of healing, blessing and love. He is the one person that pours out hope in all of us.
As believers, we now carry that responsibility to manifest what Jesus is, his characteristics and attitude towards the people that he has call us out to save.
The past 2 weeks, Runaway Bride has been coming up a lot during our bible study sessions. The Untouchables was a clear winner and example of discussion in relation to the matter. And I was basically asked on this based on my work and understanding of social ills.
Well, as I recall the building blocks for the The Untouchables. It was a tough process, a process that required deep understanding, really investing real emotions and thoughts to the situation. As much as I could portray my role as an AIDS victim and hit home the right engaging emotions with the audience, I think to some degree, we easily forget the reality of it all, humans are selfish. I am selfish.
I think that's the main difference between God and us. In Runaway Bride, the bride selfishly runs away whilst God is continually pursuing us, seeking and asking, "Do you love me?".
Do you love M, V and S? Do I share their sorrows and burdens.
I learnt this. For one person to come alongside to another with issues, it takes time. It takes a great amount of effort, because we know engage in a potential relationship that may cause further hurt or a better realization of recovery if one is successful. It really takes love to really care for a person. Its easy to care for the healthy ones, but the ones who are sick, where are we to them.
As I continue to work out these issues, I think God is currently staging the real runaway bride at church. He is showing me the real stuff. I'm glad that we may have the possibility of restaging this next year, maybe I would have more experience and understanding portraying the roles necessary.
Ultimately, its not about that. Its about being a christian at every moment in my life, and its starting to hurt me as I realize the importance and necessity of Christ yet having being immersed in the world, it is such a difficult stand to take. Its a tough mountain to climb and sometimes I lose heart.
I pray for the church, that they will consider their decisions for future stands more deeply. As a member, there is a responsibility for submission. For everything, we know that God is in control. And I learnt, its not about me, my feelings, my emotions or my thoughts, its about God. And to know that in spite of all the circumstances in life, we can still come to God and speak of the relationship with Him genuinely, that is truly a gift.
As we lead our friendships, may we also put aside all our differences and being able to share life together through worst and best of times, is truly an amazing experience. I am glad that I can share this with a few great people.
As friends, what you read in the following, is an expression of my thoughts about that matter. Anything else I continue to add personally with examples of my life, is just an extended regard. I do feel that I can be blunt and honest too.
For the past 2 weeks, the bible study group was left hanging because of having no materials to work with. Nonetheless, I think God had always planned for something else to take place. For that, I think, the recent 2 weeks, the group has genuinely come together and to some degree, became closer too. I am glad for such close friendship and intimacy. Much prayer has been poured out. Still, there are 3 that are left stranded.
The story is this. There is a couple in my church who have been going out and been looking towards the direction of marriage. However one was a divorcee, and the church has recently taken the stand that they will not allow a divorcee to remarry. Having said that, the person who is a divorcee committed such an act before he became a believer. As a result, this current couple now cannot even serve at church because of their relationship. Therefore, unless they break up, they don't serve. Furthermore, to remain consistency in the church, there is a speaker who is also from the background; who we had the privilege to invite recently to speak at our bible study and youth camp (which I was so looking forward too!), is now not able to serve in ministry because he was a divorcee.
To put everything in context, let's the couple M and V respectively and speaker as S. Here's what I think about the whole matter:-
1. M was not a believer when he divorce his wife. He came to know the Lord at our church. We welcome him with open arms and loved him like how Jesus does. Then isn't it so, that when one accepts the Lord as His personal saviour, then his sins are all washed away and he begins a new life.
2. For a couple with a stigma (divorce issues), they are now not allowed to serve in church, in the ministries that they have been so actively contributing, these are key people to certain ministries. And because of what they have, which is a relationship or basically dating, they can't serve. I just don't understand that.
3. From that it sprung to hit S, and he can't speak at our sessions.
Let's take away religion for a while. Let's be human. If I can say myself, I'm a liberalist? I mean, in life, we make mistakes, you make some, forgive and move on. And more importantly, I came to know the Lord Jesus Christ through grace and love. I stand by the move on grace strongly, and genuine love. What would Jesus do? I read stories in the bible, showing how Jesus spent most of his time with the worst people and continued to offer his hand of healing, blessing and love. He is the one person that pours out hope in all of us.
As believers, we now carry that responsibility to manifest what Jesus is, his characteristics and attitude towards the people that he has call us out to save.
The past 2 weeks, Runaway Bride has been coming up a lot during our bible study sessions. The Untouchables was a clear winner and example of discussion in relation to the matter. And I was basically asked on this based on my work and understanding of social ills.
Well, as I recall the building blocks for the The Untouchables. It was a tough process, a process that required deep understanding, really investing real emotions and thoughts to the situation. As much as I could portray my role as an AIDS victim and hit home the right engaging emotions with the audience, I think to some degree, we easily forget the reality of it all, humans are selfish. I am selfish.
I think that's the main difference between God and us. In Runaway Bride, the bride selfishly runs away whilst God is continually pursuing us, seeking and asking, "Do you love me?".
Do you love M, V and S? Do I share their sorrows and burdens.
I learnt this. For one person to come alongside to another with issues, it takes time. It takes a great amount of effort, because we know engage in a potential relationship that may cause further hurt or a better realization of recovery if one is successful. It really takes love to really care for a person. Its easy to care for the healthy ones, but the ones who are sick, where are we to them.
As I continue to work out these issues, I think God is currently staging the real runaway bride at church. He is showing me the real stuff. I'm glad that we may have the possibility of restaging this next year, maybe I would have more experience and understanding portraying the roles necessary.
Ultimately, its not about that. Its about being a christian at every moment in my life, and its starting to hurt me as I realize the importance and necessity of Christ yet having being immersed in the world, it is such a difficult stand to take. Its a tough mountain to climb and sometimes I lose heart.
I pray for the church, that they will consider their decisions for future stands more deeply. As a member, there is a responsibility for submission. For everything, we know that God is in control. And I learnt, its not about me, my feelings, my emotions or my thoughts, its about God. And to know that in spite of all the circumstances in life, we can still come to God and speak of the relationship with Him genuinely, that is truly a gift.
As we lead our friendships, may we also put aside all our differences and being able to share life together through worst and best of times, is truly an amazing experience. I am glad that I can share this with a few great people.

What would Jesus do?
It is not about advocating relationships between divorcees and non-divorcees - but it comes down to the root of WHY WE BELIEVE? We believe because we are first sinners, and GOD has sent his son BY GRACE THROUGH LOVE so that ALL MEN MIGHT BE SAVED. And by that He meant a REBIRTH, whatever happened, happened; it is no longer consequential (and that is NOT justified by men, but by God). He also wanted us to live life with the fullness of the Holy Spirit, and not by our past actions "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full". Oh well. That said, this is only what I think and perhaps the situation is more complex than what I read it to be, which brings me to "Seek God first..." because He knows our heart like no other.
Seek God first, in all that we do.
Tough call at times, but I'm still learning and maybe God places these real lessons in our lives so that He may teach us, there is more to it than you think.
Amen.